George Baker RIP

For General chat about Minder

Moderators: jno, kmpowell, Swainy

George Baker RIP

Postby Swainy on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 am

George Baker, who appeared in two episodes of Minder has sadly died at the age of 80.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15225021
"Don't judge other's by your own low standards!" Arthur Daley 'The Cruel Canal'.
Swainy

Re: George Baker RIP

Postby Vic Shortman on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

Sad news indeed, although not unexpected. I read somewhere quite recently that he'd not been well.

He was great in both his guest appearances in Minder, playing one of the Mr Bigs on the manor (although strangely with a different name each time). RIP Mr Baker.
Is Vic there?
Vic Shortman
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Colet Gardens on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Sad news... :(

RIP George
'"They're sitting in their offices, Gordon, polishing their chairs with their arses and they are creasing themselves...
Colet Gardens
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby CJWiganer on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Very sad. George apparently passed away on Friday from pneumonia after suffering a recent stroke. I understand his wife (who had played his screen wife in the Wexford series) died earlier this year herself.

George was brilliant in his two Minder appearances 'You Gotta Have Friends' from series one and 'A Day Of Fines & Closures' from series seven. Its quite odd that he played two different characters almost a decade apart but both were mirror images of one another. In both episodes he plays a top weight villain with a small army of henchmen around him and in both episodes he roughs up Arthur in some way.

George definately had that air of slight upper class Britishness about him in the same way Roger Moore and Peter Bowles have. He had quite a diverse career and was able to mix a nice blend of drama and comedy in many of his performances. I always remember him guest appearing in the debut episode of Some Mothers Do Have Them in which he has the unfortunate position of interviewing bumbling Frank Spencer for a job only to be left a jibber wreck at the end. I understand the role had originally been tailor made for Sir Anthony Quayle who was unavailable at the eleven hour, so George stepped in and made the role his own.

I was quite surprised by his death as he was always quite active and spritely in his later years.

RIP George
CJWiganer
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Mr Arthur Daley on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Sad news :(

I was only writing the other day about my favourite episodes of Minder and Bergerac that he had both been in, and how they were both coincidently darker episodes of usually lighter dramas.

RIP George Baker :(
Mr Arthur Daley
TV Lounge Member
TV Lounge Member

Postby DazzaGlasgow on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 am

Sad to hear this news
DazzaGlasgow
TV Lounge Member
TV Lounge Member

Postby Susan_Grant on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Very sad news. :cry:
You have to be mad in this job or else you go insane.
Susan_Grant
Too much 'TV Lounge' time on my hands!
Too much 'TV Lounge' time on my hands!

Postby Macfarland on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:14 am

Its all that jogging you know!

Love his line about Arthur thinking there were some nasty South London firm lol
"In our terminology he is one of the 'funnies'. Lives in Whitehall and starts wars. Last I heard of him he was seen running out of a bank in Belfast with a bag of money in one hand and a gun in the other shouting 'Dont shoot I am on your side' claimed later he was infiltrating the IRA.
Regan on MacFarland. (Visiting Fireman)
Macfarland
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Return to General Minder Chat