Lovely Rover P5B Saloon

Want to talk about something non-Sweeney/70s related... Surely not!?

Moderators: Smokin' Arches, kmpowell, Dr Phibes

Lovely Rover P5B Saloon

Postby RHJ997R on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 pm

I spotted this lovely P5B Saloon for sale, ex-Government owned and immaculate! :love:

If I could justify it to her indoors, I would buy this motor! :agree:

Take a look at the link within the ad for 50 more detailed photos!

RHJ :D

>>> CLICK HERE FOR THE ROVER <<<
DI Jack Regan: If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined
STOPPO DRIVER (1974)©
RHJ997R
TV Lounge Aficionado
TV Lounge Aficionado

Re: Lovely Rover P5B Saloon

Postby Supermarine on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

RHJ997R wrote:I spotted this lovely P5B Saloon for sale, ex-Government owned and immaculate! :love:

If I could justify it to her indoors, I would buy this motor! :agree:

Take a look at the link within the ad for 50 more detailed photos!

RHJ :D

>>> CLICK HERE FOR THE ROVER <<<

That's a lovely motor! I like the headrests, very unusual when you compare it with today's grey things.
'Knowing the way you two drive, you'll probably get there first!!' Not A Very Civil Civil Servant
Supermarine
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Fatmananddummy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Oh that's nice!! Unusual to see one registered that late! But I did vaguely hear that HM Government bought a few of the last P5B' saloons made in black and kept them unregistered for a while before starting to use them.

Often wondered how many of the ex Government black P5B's are still around now, after seeing old 70's footage of the various PM's travelling in them.

I know of one black Wolseley wedge (Princess body) that is around and enthusiast owned.
Fatmananddummy
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby daveclayton on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Love the P5, such a road presence they have.. Below is an article from The Telegraph, includes a bit about Her Majesty's P5 too :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/cla ... er-P5.html
"Has anybody got time for a rate payer?" ..."How can I help you madame?"
daveclayton
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Cromwell Avenue W6 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 pm

That is lovely, if it were a Coupe I'd go and have a sniff of it!

There are several ex-Government and ex-MOD P5B Saloons still in existance which are known to the P5 Owners Club... the ex- Harold Wilson / Margaret Thatcher car KRP 315K is in store at Gaydon museum and a couple of years back there was an ex-RAF Saloon on display at the NEC Classic Show, plus others dotted about. The last ones came off the line at Solihull in June '73 but were kept back and held in store until needed by various departments, some went onto the road with M reg numbers and some with N, and I think possibly one had a P plate on it. Most were kept in use until well into the '80s. One of the main reasons why there was no fanfare or big media coverage of the last P5B coming off the line was because it was destined for Ministerial use.

James Taylor's book on P5s lists 67 known P5B V8 Saloons in departmental use from the tail end of 1967 onwards.

W6 :wink:
Last edited by Cromwell Avenue W6 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Davenport - "You call 'em punters, we call 'em witnesses''
Richard Burton - ''If I looked at one of them, they'd p*ss their pants, cos I'm Vic Dakin!"
ND - ''Used to be...''
RB - ''And who are you, what do you do? Keeping Britain clean on thirty quid a week! Respect, respect? You don't know what it is unless you're Vic Dakin, tell 'im somebody, tell 'im!' A hundred witnesses? Only twelve men on the jury, remember that, only twelve men on the jury! WHO ARE YOU LOOKING AT??''
Cromwell Avenue W6
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Skipper on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 pm

Mmmmmm! A lovely big chunk of motor! 8) :thumbup:
Must be one of the few times the ad didn' t describe a P5 as being a gentlemans club on wheels. :wink:
"Haskins is doing for The Sweeney what The Boston Strangler did for door to door salesmen".
Skipper
TV Lounge Established Member

Postby MZB on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Unmolested but it has the coupe dash. The saloon never had a rev counter and so the oil pressure / water temp / fuel gauges were housed in the large dial to the right of the speedo. The Coupe DID have a rev counter and so oil, water fuel (and an extra amp) gauges were added in separate pods underneath.
The coupe dash does look better though but in a saloon it jars a bit to a purist.

[EDIT]: Just read the spec ... he does mention the gauges. I just looked at the pictures initially and straight away that swapped dash hit me as wrong.
MZB
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby jonnyald on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm

looks to be a beaut ,wonder what itd do flat out ,would you dare to cane it after all those years? , you neverwould know if old crud might be just waitin to block an oilway

reminds me of that jeering mob situation when old Charlies leccy windows failed when he was downtown with Camilla , if the throttle had been gunned to the floor like never before / to get them to safety/ would it leap away like a scalded cat? or might it bog down with a terrible burning smell from the box ?
its the toecap they understand
jonnyald
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby tupperware harty on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am

jonnyald wrote:would it leap away like a scalded cat? or might it bog down with a terrible burning smell from the box ?

Are you talking about the car or Camilla jonny?
tupperware harty
TV Lounge Aficionado
TV Lounge Aficionado

Postby Skipper on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

jonnyald wrote: or might it bog down with a terrible burning smell from the box ?

/\ What I was thinkin, Yeh, it wouldn' t be coming from the cars box! :D
"Haskins is doing for The Sweeney what The Boston Strangler did for door to door salesmen".
Skipper

Postby United 45 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 am

:lol: ....who writes your scripts, guys....?!!
He'll be back. He needs the job like an alcoholic needs booze.
United 45
Too much 'TV Lounge' time on my hands!
Too much 'TV Lounge' time on my hands!

Postby MZB on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 am

Cane it? They are horrible cars to drive, you don't sit IN them, you sit ON them for a start.
My Dad had a 1969 P5B from nearly new. After the gearbox had packed up for about the third time he dumped it in the garage and after a succession of other cars he decided to get it back on the road rather than let it deteriorate. At the time he was driving a newish XJ and comparing the two he decided to stick with Jag .... more comfortable and more predictable ... altogether a nicer drive. In fact, my Ford Focus is a nicer drive. He said I could have the P5B for nothing but I hated the way it drove and road feel was practically nil. I hated the typically tacky Rover dash (an afterthought plonked on top) and the seats weren't comfortable. I stuck it on eBay and gave him the money.
Like all classic cars, they are nicer to look at than drive. Anyway, you can't get windscreens for P5's any more, so crack one and you'll need to source a second hand one.
MZB
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Cromwell Avenue W6 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

MZB wrote:Cane it? They are horrible cars to drive, you don't sit IN them, you sit ON them for a start.
My Dad had a 1969 P5B from nearly new. After the gearbox had packed up for about the third time he dumped it in the garage and after a succession of other cars he decided to get it back on the road rather than let it deteriorate. At the time he was driving a newish XJ and comparing the two he decided to stick with Jag .... more comfortable and more predictable ... altogether a nicer drive. In fact, my Ford Focus is a nicer drive. He said I could have the P5B for nothing but I hated the way it drove and road feel was practically nil. I hated the typically tacky Rover dash (an afterthought plonked on top) and the seats weren't comfortable. I stuck it on eBay and gave him the money.
Like all classic cars, they are nicer to look at than drive. Anyway, you can't get windscreens for P5's any more, so crack one and you'll need to source a second hand one.

Beg to differ MZB! With P5Bs, good ones are very nice to drive, although I guess a bad one could put you off 'em for life. Not all classic cars are horrible to drive either - my current P6 3500 is exceptionally smooth, and although a little heavy, feels as good as any modern I've driven, with its power steering and all round disc brakes. Only reason I'm selling it is I'm chasing a P5B Coupe... oh and you can get screens for them if you know where to look, as at least one of the well known dealers has a stash of new old stock glass. In twenty four years of driving I've owned 18 classics and two moderns, all but one of the classics were a dream to drive and six of them I used as everyday transport for several years, the the only things which caused any real headaches was getting correct replacement batteries and tyres!

As for what speed a good P5B will do - I managed 90pmph cruising quite regularly with my last Coupe and it still had plenty more in reserve although I didn't push it any further than that as it had only just been recommissioned for the road. Some owners say they'll go to about 115mph before running out of steam.

W6 :wink:
Nigel Davenport - "You call 'em punters, we call 'em witnesses''
Richard Burton - ''If I looked at one of them, they'd p*ss their pants, cos I'm Vic Dakin!"
ND - ''Used to be...''
RB - ''And who are you, what do you do? Keeping Britain clean on thirty quid a week! Respect, respect? You don't know what it is unless you're Vic Dakin, tell 'im somebody, tell 'im!' A hundred witnesses? Only twelve men on the jury, remember that, only twelve men on the jury! WHO ARE YOU LOOKING AT??''
Cromwell Avenue W6
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby jonnyald on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm

tupperware harty wrote:
jonnyald wrote:would it leap away like a scalded cat? or might it bog down with a terrible burning smell from the box ?

Are you talking about the car or Camilla jonny?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i wont write my opinion on le Cam for 2 reasons , firstly its incredibly rude to diss any woman in writing and secondly Charles"s Duchy office will have already read this thread and i dont want them targetting me
its the toecap they understand
jonnyald
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Skipper on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm

They can target me if they like. Best of luck to them! :thumbup:

Oh, and P5 windscreens? Besides Nige mentioning the NOS ones around, there are companies that can make any windscreen for any car, all they need is one to copy from. :)
I`ve owned loads of classics, and one or two moderns-depending on an opinion of what`s modern-and it`s the older motor for me everytime.
Skipper

Next

Return to Off Topic