Fiat 850 Coupe (Red) - UJB 92G

Anything to do with Sweeney Cars. Now, then, and much more!

Moderators: Smokin' Arches, kmpowell, Dr Phibes

Fiat 850 Coupe (Red) - UJB 92G

Postby Handsome & Gristle on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Ratman&bobin and Fatmananddummy first spotted that this car appeared in a few eps, but it’s now obvious it featured much more regularly than that. It almost certainly belonged to a member of the production crew and was parked near to where filming took place in a street. Whether it’s coincidence it appeared in a shot or was an “in joke” that it would be in almost every other ep is impossible to say.

At the time of making the show the crew had no idea that in 30 years time people would have the ability at home to pause or slow down the action to confirm sightings.

Although the car has distinctive styling, spotting it is helped by the fact it has a randomly placed tax disc and sticker on the windscreen, together with a driver's door mirror and wing mirrors.

The intention of this thread is to list every sighting.

If you’ve seen it please reply here with a description and I’ll add it to this post (by editing) with a credit, screen-grabs and/or timing are also welcome.

Queen's Pawn

When the hitman arrives to kill Budd it's parked outside the Red Cow (from ratman&bobin, screen-grab © Inspector Regal)

Faces

2.26 mins

Colet Gardens, W14.

25.12 mins

25.20 mins

Russell Gardens, W14

(Location unknown)

(from ratman&bobin, screen-grabs & location info © Alice the greengrocer and Dr Phibes)

Supersnout

1.32 mins

When the lorry about to be blagged turns into Jock's Cafe it passes the Fiat (from ratman&bobin, screengrab (c) Smokin' Arches)

Big Brother

34.05 mins

It’s parked on the right when NHK drives off after picking up Angela (from H & G, screengrab (c) martinu)

Hit and Run

8.53 mins

When Jack goes to the Fladge's flat, it's on the other side of the road.

41.32 mins

When Alan Fowler goes to Judy Grinden’s new place, it’s on the other side of the road.

46.47 mins

When NHK pulls up outside the telephone kiosk for Jack to make a call, it's outside (from H & G, screengrabs (c) Smokin' Arches)

Poppy

Near the start, when Bill crosses the road with the tea it’s in front of NHK (from H & G, screengrab (c) martinu)

When Daniels sees Vane leaving his flat, just before he crosses the road a red car’s parked on the opposite side, further up than NHK296M, but it’s too far to identify positively (from H & G)

Thou Shalt Not Kill!

3.28mins

When Regan arrives it's in the row of parked cars he passes (from fatmananddummy and ratman&bobin, screengrab (c) Smokin' Arches)

Taste of Fear

There's a red Fiat 850 Coupe outside Trampers Travel when the squad pull up in the Ford Transit.

It's still there when Hargreaves runs away (from Ashby-Jones, ratman&bobin and H & G, screengrabs (c) Smokin' Arches) - Although definitely a red Fiat 850 Coupe, martinu and dogof2head have correctly pointed out this is not UJB as the driver's door mirror is missing.

May

When the white Cortina turns in front of Chelsea Typewriters whilst following Don on the motorbike, it’s parked on the right behind a grey Jaguar. You then see it when the camera’s inside the Cortina (from H & G, screengrabs (c) dogof2head) - Notice how the Riley Kestrel has parked between the Datsun and the Fiat before the second shot was done!!!

Sweeney!

(from ratman&bobin)

Down To You Brother

45.03 mins

Pembroke road, W8

When Owens & gang are first unloading the van to do the diamond merchant blag it's parked on the other side of the road (from H & G, screen-grab & location info © Alice the greengrocer)

In the same ep during the first shot of R & C watching Meadows’ place from the van you can see through its rear window, parked in the drive of the neighbour, what looks like the rear of our old friend. It’s difficult to tell because of the dark but the shape and lights look right (from H & G)

Messenger of the Gods

35.38 mins

Masbro Road, W14, looking towards Sinclair Road

When Lukey runs away from Spooner's heavies, it's at the end of the street (from H & G, location info & screengrab (c) Alice the greengrocer)
Last edited by Handsome & Gristle on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 30 times in total.
(37Bodie on The Professionals Lounge)
Handsome & Gristle
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Smokin' Arches on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:14 pm

I've got bad news and good news:

Bad news is The Red Cow has been replaced and the Fiat has been swapped for a Micra.

The good news is Colet Court has lost the scaffolding and is looking much cleaner.

But to top it all:

The man hole cover has been fitted back around the right way: Image

Sorry H&G, strayed off topic.

Smokin'
There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere .....
Smokin' Arches
TV Lounge Established Member
TV Lounge Established Member

Postby ratman&bobin on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:40 pm

Nice one Smokin' :)
ratman&bobin
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Handsome & Gristle on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:43 pm

Smokin',

That picture is up to Alice's standard. Nice one about the manhole cover!
Handsome & Gristle
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Handsome & Gristle on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:23 am

Down To You Brother screengrab added thanks to Alice the greengrocer on the location thread.
Handsome & Gristle
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Jack the Lad on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:10 pm

Handsome & Gristle wrote: Smokin',

That picture is up to Alice's standard. Nice one about the manhole cover!

Jack had the "cover" off I suspect chucked some plumbers tools down the hole and got the wooden tops to put the covers back on I suspect!
Jack the Lad
TV Lounge Member
TV Lounge Member

Postby Frank Kemble on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:39 am

There's a gorgeous Fiat Coupé on eBay now - take a look <a href='http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-850-Sport-Coupe-Series-III_W0QQitemZ4630997135QQcategoryZ18305QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem' target='_blank'>HERE</a>

It's a pity Scotland's so far away from me down here in Devon - otherwise I'd be well tempted! B)
"'ere, finish ya blouse darlin'..."
Dave Brooker - Ringer.
Frank Kemble
TV Lounge Member
TV Lounge Member

Postby ratman&bobin on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:25 pm

Mr Kemble,

You would have to paint it red though then turn up to a Sweeney meet, but arrive early and just park it up on the street.
ratman&bobin
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Frank Kemble on Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:06 pm

ratman&bobin wrote:Mr Kemble,

You would have to paint it red though then turn up to a Sweeney meet, but arrive early and just park it up on the street.

:D

Nice idea! If only it wasn't a 1000+ mile 'round trip to Fife... :( Still, it'll be interesting to see what sort of price it fetches.
"'ere, finish ya blouse darlin'..."
Dave Brooker - Ringer.
Frank Kemble
TV Lounge Member
TV Lounge Member

Postby Jack the Lad on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 pm

Nice looking little motor that! By the way has anyone else noticed the Blue (I think) Fiat 850 that Jack & George run past before the opening titles in "Lady Luck" just before they enter the pub!
Jack the Lad
TV Lounge Member
TV Lounge Member

Postby Handsome & Gristle on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:18 pm

F K,

I think that's the best 850 I've ever seen.

r&b,

Nice one, although it would be a shame to paint this particular car red.

JtL,

I missed that one!
Handsome & Gristle
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

THE RED FIAT 850 COUPE IN SWEENEY!

Postby ratman&bobin on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:33 am

Here's one I need confirmation on.

1 hour 5 mins and 5 secs into the excellent movie Sweeney! I think you see the red fiat parked on a street corner by George's gaffe as he returns home only to find Jack and Bianca there.

Can Inspector Regal or KMP post a smudge ?

R&B
ratman&bobin
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Handsome & Gristle on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:05 pm

Dr Phibes has some new grabs from Faces in Locations which I'll add soon.
Handsome & Gristle
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby Handsome & Gristle on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:28 pm

I've added the extra Faces screengrabs and you may be interested in this from the Involvement ep dissection on The Professionals Lounge:-

37Bodie wrote:There’s a continuity error/blooper in this one, which you don’t need a pause or slow button to spot. When the camera’s in the Capri with B & D as it approaches Tony outside the television shop, a white Transit’s parked outside. When the camera’s on the road as the Capri pulls up, a white vehicle is on the right of the shot, but it’s not a Transit and better still a yellow VW Camper is now parked behind it, which is probably the one seen in earlier eps such as Rogue.

Fans of motors in The Sweeney might be interested to know that parked on the other side of the road is a red Fiat 850 coupe, coincidence?
Handsome & Gristle
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member

Postby ratman&bobin on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:38 pm

Messenger of the Gods.

35.37 minutes in.

My favourite car !

R&B
ratman&bobin
TV Lounge Senior Member
TV Lounge Senior Member